Today was a long day. I was up since 6am (after going to bed after 2am) and was out of the house from 8am until about 2pm. Tired is an understatement....
Even so, I decided to take a stab at the Cinnamon Quinoa Bake I mentioned a few days ago. It's a very simple recipe and I had all the ingredients in the house.
Note..... TEAspoon and TABLEspoon are DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!! Mine came out a bit bland because I mistakenly put one teaspoon of cinnamon instead of one tablespoon. I figure when eating them I can sprinkle on some added cinnamon and spread some almond butter on the top. That should do the trick!
For the original recipe click here
Cinnamon Quinoa Bake
2 1/2 cups quinoa, cooked and cooled (one cup dry)
4 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup vanilla soy milk (I used regular unsweetened because it's always in my fridge)
1/3 cup honey (I substituted this for maple syrup although I ran out and wasn't able to fill an entire 1/3 measuring cup..)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon (OOPS)
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF and place the (already cooked and cooled) quinoa in a large mixing bowl. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with lightly greased parchment.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, soy milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Add honey and whisk.
3. Add egg mixture to cooked and cooled quinoa. Stir with a large spoon to combine. Pour into the parchment-lined baking dish and spread it around to ensure that it’s even.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until set and golden. (I had to leave it in for 25 minutes. possibly because I have a gas oven)
5. Using parchment, remove bake from pan as soon as possible so that it doesn’t steam.
6. Cool completely and cut into squares. Suggested serving from original web site: Serve with a dollop of nut butter. (In my case I should also add a generous sprinkle of cinnamon since I mis-measured).
Yet again, this recipe is dairy free. It is also gluten free (if you are extremely allergic to gluten you would ensure the vanilla was certified as well as whatever cooking spray you use to grease the parchment paper).
This will be a great breakfast tomorrow morning! And all week for work..